Pandora's Box


I'm aware of the fact that I'm going to open up a big ol' can of worms here, but there's something I just don't get:

Why all the fuss about the Springbok emblem? I'm of course talking about the big hoo-ha about "them" wanting to take the emblem away. And now that "they" have conceded that it can still stay on the jersey, the rugby-"manne" are still not happy, because, horror of horrors, they have moved it to the other breast! O calamity!

Now, before you go accusing me of being insensitive (okay, maybe I am just a tad...), I do understand that people attach meaning to the emblem and that's what all the fuss is about. But, come on! Surely grown people cannot be that dense. The emblem makes no difference to the game in the end. It's not going to change the fact that the average person in this country lives & breathes rugby and it sure as hell isn't going to affect the score at the end of the game. One of the more annoying arguments I've seen, is that the Bok has united us as a nation (World Cup 1995 & 2007) and that's why it should stay. Of course I cannot argue with that, rugby did unite us and it was awesome, but that's just it. It was RUGBY that united us as a nation (even I got excited and I usually battle to stay awake during a game...), not the Bok per se.

Yes, I suppose it has sentimental value, but is that enough of a reason for people to create groups on facebook, to petition the rugby bosses and to feverishly vote in Die Huilgenoot's polls regarding the matter?

Come on people, this really is quite a small "issue" compared to the bigger picture. There are so many other things to protest about in the world, hell even in our own country, why the focus on a picture on clothing?

Or is that perhaps the precise reason for it: it distracts us from the bigger thorns in our sides?

9 comments:

Just-ify said...

Ello Madam :)

Hope things are wicked your side of the Eerste river.

I've undertaken to blog more this year, I see you've been quite busy!

Ek love die new years resolution / to do list wat jy opgestel het. Hoop nie jy sal omgee as ek iets soortgelyk opstel nie?

Just-ify said...

I think it comes down to Identity and Tradition.

People tend to attach a sentimental value, as well as a brand value to franchises such as the "Springboks".

Take the All Black for example. The term All Black gains respect far and wide, even from those who dont follow rugby.

Imagine if the All Black were suddenly reffered to as the Highland Sheep. Doesn't quite have the same ring to it, now does it?

Tradition is equally important. Supporters want to know that they, and the players are part of something larger than the imediate here and now. Knowing that Doc Craven etc respected the "Springboks" gives one an anchor in the past.

And being an ex rugby player, I know that these EMOTIONAL points have real world value. Being 5 points down in the world cup, rallying the "troops" and informing them that there is a opportunity to make all previous Springbok players, (who have had the same emotional and pride attachment to the jersey and emblem) proud, can sometimes be the decider in victory or loss.

Titania said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Titania said...

Hey girl! How've you been? Merry merry & happy happy and all that :-)

Regarding the springbok emblem, besides being a tradition, it's also a symbol of our ancentors. Our fathers and grandfathers played under the Springbok emblem, and it's a symbol of a shared pride that has spanned generations.

In short, it doesn't matter what the exact symbol is: if great-grand-daddy played under the symbol of... say... a "pink frog with a flowery hat", then our brothers/husbands/sons will wear the "pink frog with a flowery hat" with pride and defend the symbol with all their might... and will kick the butt of any Aussie who speaks about the symbol in anything but the most respectful of tones!

This would of course lead to controversial feelings the year the designers decide to put the players in matching pink shirts.

Haha, imagine big boereseuns with a pink frog tatoo'd on their arms, or stuck on their bumpers! Sorry, now I have the gigglies...

BoratsFriendinAfrica said...

here is what some of the fuss is all about !

http://www.jewtube.com/video/1975/Planned-formation-of-the-Truth--Reconciliation-Party-of-SA

Kiwi Littleoak said...

I don't really understand the issue particularly, but I can understand enough to know that I've hit similar situations. Stuff like that seems so silly in comparison to what we could be rising up against! It's silly how attached people get to emblems.

- Kiwi / CarbonxKiwi (SB)

Marisa said...

As you know Kiwi, I could't agree more! Great to know there are more like-minded people out there...

bongaan said...

Many white South Africans really struggle with there identity these days. I remember in my high school years when apartheid ended, it was a terrible thing! I hated blacks for taking away that which defined me; my school, my flag, my anthem, my pride of being a boer. The list goes on; city names, town names, street names, building names. Many things and names that are embedded in the identity of white Afrikaners were changed and are still being changed.

Many feel that 'they' do it on purpose to strip the white Afrikaner from his past and identity as far as they can. Changing the springbok emblem is a direct attack on the identity of the white Afrikaner, fueled by racism on both sides.

THAT's why all the fuss. It's not about the emblem; the emblem is just the vehicle. Touching the springbok emblem is touching one of the few things left that's part of the white Afrikaner's identity. Luckily I'm "Danie ben Yahweh" these days (Danie son of Jehovah our Father) That is my identity now! Yay! :-)

Many people are angered by the Springbok emblem dilemma, but only a few will be able to express the reason why. They just have this anger inside them, an anger that say: “Leave us alone!” But the real reason for this anger is the identity issue as explained above. Obviously sentiment, tradition and so forth also play a role, but the identity thing is the main thing I believe.

Marisa said...

Dankie Danie, daai was probably die beste argument wat ek nog gehoor het oor die saak.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers

Blog Directory by Blog Flux